What is Automobile Engineering
Automobile engineering is the field of study which deals with designing, repairing and manufacturing, operating and developing automobiles. An automobile engineer deals in all these areas and applies this knowledge in designing engines and production of cars as it is one of the main areas of specialization in automobile engineering.
There are various other programs available in this area which the aspirants learn throughout the automobile engineering course. Some of them include aerodynamics, electronics, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, fuel emissions, safety engineering, control systems, motorsport and supply chain management.
Automobile engineering provides various areas of expertise and learning in the field of automobiles and electronics for those who are enthusiastic about cars and vehicles and their functioning.
Eligibility Criteria (UG & PG) of Automobile Engineering
Eligibility Criteria of Automobile Engineering
The eligibility criteria for admission in automobile engineering courses must be met by the students aspiring to take admission in its undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
Eligibility Criteria For Undergraduate Automobile Engineering Course
- The student must have completed 10+2 from a recognized board in India with the required field of subjects or equivalent.
- The minimum of 50-60 percent marks must be met by the student for admission in an undergraduate program. The students to be eligible for the courses in automobile engineering must have studied Physics, Chemistry and Maths in 10+2.
- The students are accepted based on their scores in the entrance examinations that are conducted on a national and state level. Some private colleges like BITS Pilani conduct their examinations and students are required to score the minimum eligibility criteria to be admitted in the course.
Eligibility Criteria For Postgraduate Automobile Engineering Course
- For admissions in the postgraduate programs in Automobile Engineering, it is required that the candidate has completed an undergraduate degree in the same from a recognized university.
- Candidates aiming to pursue a postgraduate automobile engineering course must secure a minimum percentile that the particular institution or university has required.
Automobile Engineering – Disciplines
There are some of the important disciplines that important automotive engineer are as follows
|Fuel economy/emissions||Program timing|
|NVH engineering||Assembly feasibility|
|Vehicle electronics||Quality management|
Automobile Engineering: Career and Job Profiles
There are maintenance engineer jobs for the general supervision in factories, automobile industries and supply chain automobiles of various corporations. If any students further extend his degree like MBA after completing graduation in Automobile engineering a host of other options open up for them in marketing and management. Some of the job positions offered to Automobile engineers and their respective salaries are given below in the table:
|Name of Job/Role||Average salary in Rs lakh per annum (2-5 years’ work ex)|
|Sales Officer – Generally recruited in automobile company showrooms that manage the sale of automobiles to customers and also keep an account of the stocks.||2-3|
|Professor in engineering colleges||7-8|
|Automobile engineer-responsible for various works of manufacturing, testing and product development in automotive industries.||5-6|
|Design engineer- responsible for study and research of automotive designs||6-7|
|Product Development Engineer- in charge of developing, designing and assembling of products in automotive industries.||4-5|
Top Recruiters hiring Automobile Engineers
There are a host of job opportunities for an automobile engineer in production plants, service stations of automobile companies, automobile manufacturing industries, motor vehicle departments of control, transport companies, insurance company experts, and state transport corporations, etc. the students are taught to be experts in CAD (Computer-Aided Design), CAM, ERP and therefore one can easily join designing companies as designers of the automobile. The automobile industry in India is concentrated in Bengaluru, Pune, Chennai, Gurgaon, Indore, Sanand, and Manesar
Automobile Engineering Entrance Exams
Different entrance exams for Automobile Engineering are conducted in various colleges on the state and national levels. A candidate is required to pass these exams to be eligible to study automobile engineering. Private institutes conduct their entrance exams, and other colleges take admissions based on the following Automobile Engineering entrance exams: –
- JEE Main (Joint Entrance Examination) – This exam is conducted all over India by the National Testing Agency. A candidate is tested on his knowledge about various Science subjects such as Physics, Maths and Chemistry, Aptitude, drawing and planning. Check more details about JEE Main
- JEE Advanced– JEE Advanced is also a national level entrance examination to provide admissions in engineering programs. JEE Advanced is the second level examination in which a candidate can appear after clearing JEE Main. Check more details about JEE Advanced
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh Entrance Examination) – This is a state-level entrance examination conducted by the APJ Abdul Kalam Technical University for its admissions in undergraduate and postgraduate exams. The mode of this exam is offline and is conducted once a year.
Automobile Engineering –Syllabus
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Technical English – I||Technical English – II|
|Mathematics – I||Mathematics – II|
|Engineering Physics – I||Engineering Physics – II|
|Engineering Chemistry – I||Engineering Chemistry – II|
|Engineering Graphics||Basic Electrical & Electronics Engineering|
|Fundamentals of Computing and Programming||Engineering Mechanics|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Transforms And Partial Differential Equations||Statistics And Numerical Methods|
|Engineering Thermodynamics||Applied Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer|
|Fluid Mechanics and Machinery||Engineering Materials and Metallurgy|
|Automotive Engines||Strength of Materials|
|Mechanics of Machines||Electronics and Microprocessors|
|Production Technology||Automotive Chassis|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Environmental Science and Engineering||Principles of Management|
|Design of Machine Elements||Automotive Engine Components Design|
|Automotive Transmission||Automotive Chassis Components Design|
|Automotive Electrical and Electronics||Two and Three Wheelers|
|Vehicle Design and Data Characteristics||Finite Element Analysis|
|Automotive Fuels and Lubricants||Composite Materials|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Engine and Vehicle Management System||Vehicle Body Engineering|
|Vehicle Dynamics||Marketing Management|
|Vehicle Maintenance||Automotive Safety|
|Automotive Pollution and Control||–|
Automobile Engineering Leading Institutes
Top Automobile Engineering Institutes in India
|Indian Institute of Technology||Multiple Locations||www.iitd.ac.in Copy|
|Birla Institute of Technology||Pilani, Mesra||www.bits-pilani.ac.in Copy|
|National Institute of Technology, Calicut||Calicut||www.nitc.ac.in Copy|
|National Institute of Technology, Silchar||Silchar||www.nits.ac.in Copy|
|National Institute of Technology, Surathkal||Surathkal||www.nitk.ac.in Copy|
|National Institute of Technology, Bhopal||Bhopal||www.manit.ac.in Copy|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||Chennai||www.vit.ac.in Copy|
|Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad||Dhanbad||www.ism.ac.in Copy|
|Sri Ramaswamy Memorial University (SRM)||Multiple Locations||www.srmuniv.ac.in Copy|
|Pandit Deen Dayal Petroleum University||Gandhinagar||www.pdpu.ac.in Copy|
|International Institute of Information Technology||Hyderabad||www.iiit.ac.in Copy|
|Maharashtra Institute of Technology||Pune||www.mitpune.com Copy|
|Madras Institute of Technology||Chennai||www.mitindia.edu Copy|
Top Automobile Engineering Institutes in the World
|University of Manchester||Manchester, United Kingdom||www.manchester.ac.uk Copy|
|University of Bristol||City of Bristol, United Kingdom||www.bristol.ac.uk Copy|
|University of Edinburgh||Edinburgh, United Kingdom||www.ed.ac.uk Copy|
|University College London||London, United Kingdom||www.ucl.ac.uk Copy|
|Imperial College London||London, United Kingdom||www.imperial.ac.uk Copy|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||United States||www.web.mit.edu Copy|
|Stanford University||United States||www.stanford.edu Copy|
|Harvard University||United States||www.harvard.edu Copy|
|National University of Singapore||Singapore||www.nus.edu.sg Copy|
|California Institute of Technology||United States||www.caltech.edu Copy|
|University of Michigan||United States||www.umich.edu Copy|
|University of Toronto||Canada||www.utoronto.ca Copy|
|Purdue University||United States||www.purdue.edu Copy|
Automobile Engineering Entrance Exams
|College||Tentative Date||Important Elements||Website|
|Joint Entrance Examination Main (JEE Main)||April||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,||www.jeemain.nic.in Copy|
|Joint Entrance Examination Advanced (JEE Advanced)||May/June||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,||www.jeeadv.ac.in Copy|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission (BITSAT)||May||Mathematics/Biology Physics, Chemistry, Logical Reasoning English||www.bitsadmission.com/bitsatmain.aspx Copy|
|Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE)||April||Mathematics/Biology Physics, Chemistry, English||www.vit.ac.in Copy|
|University of Delhi Combined Entrance Exam (DU-CET)||June||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,||www.dtu.ac.in Copy|
|Consortium Medical, Engineering & Dental Colleges of Karnataka (COMEDK)||May||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,||www.comedk.org Copy|
|SRM University Engineering Exam (SRMUEE)||April||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology||www.srmuniv.ac.in Copy|
|Manipal University Online Entrance Exam (MU-OEE)||March/April||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology||www.manipal.edu Copy|
|Indraprastha University Common EntranceTest (IPUCET)||May||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,||www.ipu.ac.in Copy|
|Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test (IMUCET)||June||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,||www.imu.edu.in Copy|
|Institution||Tentative Date||Important Elements||Website|
|Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) (Postgraduate)||Jan/Feb||All Branches of engineering||www.gate.iisc.ernet.in Copy|
- Perform engineering activities in planning and designing tools, engines and other mechanically functioning equipments
- Develop, test and evaluate theoretical designs
- Discuss and solve complex problems with manufacturing departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers
- Monitor and commission plant and systems
- Develop, coordinate, or monitor all aspects of production or operation of product designs
- Investigate into equipment failures and recommend remedial measures
- Develop or test models of alternate designs or processing methods to assess feasibility, sustainability, operating conditions, potential new applications, or necessity of modification
- Research and analyse customers designing proposals, manuals, or other data to evaluate the, cost, or maintenance requirements of designs or applications
- Estimate costs or submit bids for engineering, construction, or extraction works
Pros & Cons of a Career in Mechanical and Automobile Engineering
- Learn how to manipulate and build machines.
- Offers extensive learning and growth as it encompasses many other fields.
- Interesting to study and apply as well.
- Initial Pay Package may not be as lucrative as other fields.
- The subjects are tough to master as level of technicality is high.
- Have to remain constantly updated on newer technology.
FAQs related to Automobile Engineering
Q. Does a career in Automobile Engineering has a future?
A. Yes. Advances in sensor, battery, VLSI, AI, and other technologies are the key drivers for a boost in the automobile sector in India and across the world.
Q. What jobs are available for Automobile Engineers?
A. Jobs in Automobile engineering are available at vehicle manufacturers, Tier-1 Suppliers, Tier-2 suppliers, Module developers, Tool developers, Test, and Certification labs. More than 500 companies in India directly engaged in design, development, manufacturing & testing of vehicles.
Q. What are the job requirements for Automobile Engineers?
A. Companies in Automobile Engineering can be classified as vehicle manufactures, electronic subsystem suppliers, software providers, test/certification labs. Requirements from each of these companies will be slightly different, but all of them expect engineers to have an idea of vehicle mechanics, electrical and electronic architecture, embedded controller basics, knowledge of sensors and actuators, Electric power-train and telematics.
Q. Are Automobile Engineering jobs available all over India?
A. The automobile industry is concentrated in Bengaluru, Pune, Chennai, Gurgaon, Indore, Sanand, and Manesar.
Q. What is the typical salary and career growth one can expect in the Automobile sector?
A. The automobile will undergo more changes in the next 10 years than it has since its inception 125 years ago. Electric vehicle development is in the transition phase, while new technologies like ADAS, Autonomous driving, Connectivity, Shared mobility are in the development phase. All of these demand huge numbers of skilled & competent engineers.
Q. In an adverse economic situation, will I be able to get a job after doing a course in Automobile Engineering?
A. No doubt during a downturn in the economy, there is a general impact on all industries including the automobile segment. But companies are always on the lookout for skilled candidates and recruit them irrespective of market conditions.
Q. Can I start a company of my own after this course?
A. Yes. However, it is strongly advised to gain some real-world experience for a few years/projects and then venture into business.
automobile engineering,automotive engineering,automotive engineer,automotive engineers,automotive engineering major,automotive engineering basics,what is automotive engineering,automotive engineering careers,vehicle engineering,car engineering,crash course automotive engineering,engineering,introduction to automotive engineering,automotive careers,what does an automotive engineer do,automotive research,engineers,automotive,vehicle research